Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Historical Reflections

This country has had many influential people at its head, as well as plenty of hardworking humanitarians and inspirational speakers working to better its body. However, there’s only one historical person that we studied who I’d want to have with me during those rough college years, and that person is Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as my counselor. His great leadership skills and willingness to take risk would definitely put me at an advantage when picking classes and generally just planning my college life.

The way he puts everything bluntly is great for someone like me, who can’t deal with subtlety and likes everything to be clear as day. For example, he might tell me that “it is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. (Looking Forward, chapter 2, p. 51)” That isn’t subtle in any way shape or form; he is literally telling his readers to try something, even if you think you will fail. This is great advice for a person who often dismisses a task as too difficult if there’s even a slight chance of failure.

And just thinking about what he did for America in her time of need riddles me with jealousy. I want to be led into recovery and greatness by FDR’s hand. With his words of wisdom on fear (from his First Inaugural Address) and liberal methods of correction, he could lead me in the right direction and get me on the path to success. On a side note, he could easily soothe me with his eloquence and thoughtful words whenever I’m stressed about an essay or project in a class.

But on top of all this, Franklin Delano Roosevelt just seems like a great guy. He seems like the type to encourage me at all times and never let me give up on myself, like he did when America was deeply depressed. With uplifting and funny quotes like, “If we can boondoggle ourselves out of this depression, that word is going to be enshrined in the hearts of the American people for years to come”, how could I not be immediately charmed by his demeanor and personality?

Yes, FDR is truly the perfect candidate for a college-level class advisor and counselor. He’s an incredibly hardworking and motivated person, which I am not, meaning that he can get me in shape so to speak. Having him around would certainly make college a meaningful experience I would never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home